April 22, 2010

Earth Day

I guess this is something that can be a bit of a touchy subject. For some, Earth Day is thought of as another just agenda item. Something that is pushed by an extreme group that wants to eliminate man-kind. I don't think that is true.

I see Earth Day, and even the whole 'green' movement as something different. While there are undoubtedly some out there who think the earth would be better off without humans on it,for me, this isn't what being green is really all about.

As a Christ-follower, I live by a biblical worldview. And because I have that worldview, I place a high value on anything God created. Human beings, animals, the oceans, the earth....anything God created.

In Genesis 1:26 God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like ourselves. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.” We have a duty, as the keepers of creation, to be responsible with what God created. It's called being a good steward. We are to use what God gives us responsibly.

Ultimately, I will have to answer for anything I do as a believer. How I spent my time, my talents, and my treasure. How I used the things God gave me. And one of the greatest things He has given us is creation. It's His, just as it says in Psalms 24:1 "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it." I just want to know I have done everything in my power to be a good steward of the blessings God gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment